Siebel Adminstrator is different domain all together. Again a pretty intresting area to work in siebel (I have been saying this for everything I have mentioned so far, haven’t I 🙂 )
But this is one area where I wish to work some day. Haven’t had chance to do that because as far as other areas are concerned they are inter linked and sooner or later you will be working on them but this one area is pretty seperate from others. Siebel EAI, Scripting, Workflows can be considered as a part of Siebel Development but Siebel Admin is a different ball game altogether.Main Responsibilties of a Siebel Admin are
- Install Siebel Servers and its components
- Manage Siebel Servers and Components
- Manage Web Servers such as iPlanet and IIS
- Troubleshoot Seibel Server Related issues
- Deploying of SRF and Repositories from one environment to others.
- Co-ordinating with various teams such Web Server, Database and Integration teams
Knowledge of Unix, Linux and shell scripting can be an added advantage as most of Siebel Server installation are on Unix Servers. If you have interest in OS, troubleshooting and you love to work from command line then this is the area for you. Generally, all the siebel implementation have more than one servers that a person has to manage. You, will need to be pretty thorough with your siebel architechture basic if you want to succeed in this area.
Usually the work of a siebel admin is managing as there are fresh implementations are pretty rare. Also, you will need to have strong database skills if you want to really make your mark as siebel admin.
Pro’s of Siebel Administrator
- Good chance of going abroad 🙂
- Intresting and challenging Assignments
- You can get pretty good experience on Unix which can help you to go towards System Admin in case you want to switch.
- Pretty good demand in Indrustry
Con’s of Siebel Administrator
- Most of the implementations are abroad so you might have to work late in night (may be shifts)
- Most of the times work involved is only of maintaince and troubleshooting.
But still, If you love linux or Unix and your area interest in database this is the area for you.
All the best for future!!