It’s been almost a month since the IP 2014 was released. I downloaded it on the same day and installed it on the next day so, you might be wondering why this post took so long. Well, it was a combination of work overload and actually not being able to get IP 2014 to work. After the usual steps of downloading JAR, creating install image and going through the install process, I started getting below error.
“Error: versions of installed components do not match (wanted version: 220.127.116.11, actual version: 18.104.22.168 ENU )”
The whole download from 64 Section added to confusion and I thought since it is 64 bit download it might not work on a 32 Bit Windows 7 OS and I should wait a few days for 32 bit install to be available. But after a bit of research and clarification, it was confirmed that the Siebel natively is a 32 Bit Application so the installer should work.
When searched for this error then I got posts that mentioned about corrupted installer and remedy was to download/re-install the whole thing but when even after several attempts of un-installing and re-installing I couldn’t get it to work. In desperate attempt I deleted the whole tools and client directory including the registry entries and tried a fresh install but ended up with same issue. To make the matters worse I didn’t even take the backup of the JS files (PM/PR) I had created including the field level help wizard 🙁 (yes, some rework in process).
So, I took a break of few days and tried looking for solution again which I found while reading @lex post of setting up of self study environment. In that post @lex had mentioned about getting a option of a New Install or Migrate an existing install but I didn’t see any such option during my install process. So, I knew that I was doing something different than @lex. After carefully reading the post I found that @lex triggered the install through setup.bat instead of module.exe that comes in the install folder of the patch. I tried the same and voilà I got a totally different installer than before and installation was successful. Here are the screenshots of both the installers.
Module.exe installer setup.bat installer
I am not sure why it is this way, but it caused me a real headache so just to reiterate:
You can use install files marked as 64 bit on a 32 bit machine (I set it up on 32 Bit Windows 7 OS) but use setup.bat instead of normal install.exe or module.exe (only for 22.214.171.124). Also don’t forget to run it as administrator.
Most of the things about IP 2014 have already been published and that too in quite detail so I will keep it short. It is a step in right direction and the goods have already been highlighted in detail so I will just mention the bad’s.
- Text area expansion. There is still no show more button beside text area so it is pain to work with them (a solution in progress).
- Annoying message that you get when you close popups using X
- Neither form applets not list applets are responsive. I was hoping to get at least form applets to be responsive.
- Color scheme is too bland.
- Although three types of navigation controls are available but Tabbed navigation is still the most user friendly way to navigate.
- Contact cards interface is still not user friendly (try querying in card interface).
That’s it for this post but stay tuned lots of good stuff in store.