Debugging Workflow – A case study

Quite a few readers have asked me about real time scenarios of various posts that I have written. I try to explain with examples so that it is easy to understand but I think putting it in real working scenario will make more sense and more understanding. So, today I am going to narrate a story how I debugged a workflow error that we faced in our Development environment 🙂 .

One fine day I an email with the following content in it

Error Code: (SBL-BPR-00187)–(SBL-BPR-00100)–(SBL-EXL-00151)–(SBL-SCR-00141), Error Message: Error updating business component at step ‘Update Sales Stage’.(SBL-BPR-00187)

This error is returned when the workflow is executing the Siebel Operation business service.(SBL-BPR-00100)

What I could figure out from this mail was that there is an error in a workflow which has a step named ‘Update Sales Stage’ but I had to find answer to the questions like

  • Which Workflow?
  • From where it is being invoked?
  • Why it is failing?

So to find the RC (Root Cause) this is what I did.

Went to Administration Server > Server Management > Tasks
Administation Server Management Site Map

Queried for Workflow process manager (WPM) records

Siebel Workflow Process Manager

Only realized that the log level is too low to get any information

Siebel Workflow Process Manager status

So Went to Administration Server > Server Configuration > Components to increase the log level

Administartion Server - Server Configuration

Queried for WPM component and increase the log level for the following components

  • Workflow Definition Loading
  • Workflow Engine Invoked
  • Workflow Process Execution
  • Workflow Step Execution
  • SQL Tracing

Siebel Administration Server - Server Configuration Screen

Went again to Administration Server > Server Management > Tasks. Now I could see enough details of workflow process to figure out which Process is failing.

Siebel Adminstration Server Management Tasks Screen

The name of the process was GEAE Update Quote Sales Stage

So, I went to tools had a look at workflow only to know that It was trying to update the opportunity sales stage and there was a script on the BC that was firing and preventing the status from being updated hence resulting in the workflow failure.

This post is supposed to give you a direction on which you can proceed. It will be only with experience that you will know what exactly needs to be done in different situations.

10 Responses to Debugging Workflow – A case study

  1. A Good post and It is very helpful.
    I am actually getting this error now and I could find the workflow step which was failing.
    My question is what do you do after that?
    A Quick an urgent reply wil be appreciated.

  2. A Good post and It is very helpful.
    I am actually getting this error now and I could find the workflow step which was failing.
    My question is what do you do after that?
    A Quick an urgent reply wil be appreciated.

  3. we have another way of monitoring the workflows is increasing the monitoring level in the UI. For this Go to Admin-Business Process > Workflow Deployment and query for the worflow which needs to be monitored and in the bottom applet of the queried workflow, there is a column named “Monitoring Level” change it to ‘4(debug).’

    thats it we have done. I hope it is clear. If you have any queries Please reply me back.

    Thanks,
    Nalla

  4. we have another way of monitoring the workflows is increasing the monitoring level in the UI. For this Go to Admin-Business Process > Workflow Deployment and query for the worflow which needs to be monitored and in the bottom applet of the queried workflow, there is a column named “Monitoring Level” change it to ‘4(debug).’

    thats it we have done. I hope it is clear. If you have any queries Please reply me back.

    Thanks,
    Nalla

  5. Case Study posted by NEEL is really very helpful to understand the debugging process for workflows.
    Thanks NEEL.

Leave a Reply

Contribute